19 Nov 2018

Jaws of Borrowdale

Ever since the purchase of the delightful romantic utmost picturesque view I was inquiring about its provenience. I did not have success with the brief North American thread;

Once I assumed search by trying to identify the landscape it actually represents I was a lot more lucky.
Derwentwater towards the Jaws of Burrowdale is most likely the landscape my painting represents.
 Here is a view of the mountains from a bit different angle.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/86/McCulloch_Horatio_Loch_Lomond.jpg
Horatio McCulloch, Loch Lomond, 1861

This beautiful scenery inspired many artists.
The genre begun with detailed, highly atmospheric landscapes by Flemish artists.
It was then continued by Italian and French painters, such as Claude Lorraine, Poussaint and others.
The Romantics, however, dispensed with the layer of mythological or social figurative or architectural elements.
It bloomed in Scotland at the turn of the 18/19 century with the Edinburgh College of Art furthering the style. The need for the artists to travel and transport the work led to increased popularity of aquarelle paint. I guess I will look again into my portfolio of watercolor images of mountainscapes by Sir William Edmond Logan. I have a burning suspicion that one of his works depicts the Jaws of Burrowdale too.
I will make another post about it so stay tuned....
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...