12 Apr 2017

Love of print again

Of course, I re-enact the desires of my childhood.
My mother took me regularly to museums and old masters galleries - my sister tucked in a pram and I - free to gaze into the Netherlandish skies of Ruysdaels and alike.
Visits in print rooms gave the notion or precision and organization of the visual record.
Soon I realized that I feel very comfortable among the subtly yellowed vignettes, nicely matted, rigidly framed, organized by the tight webbing of drawn scenes.

Those three are just recently re-framed items, archivally backed or matted.

Henry Jackson Simpson - Loch Logan
engraving on English-made paper by JFHead
Behind - large pin-hole photograph, abandoned church in Nova Scotia, favourite photography subject.


Left - the final unveiling of the "oryginal" Frank H. Mason print
The melancholy of the St.Michel, Normandy has great appeal.
The print has yellowed, but has been given archival ecru-coloured spacer mat.


Interestingly, paper moulds are of considerable interest, paper and prints can be dated by identifying the watermarks.
Mould photo from a very informative site:
http://papermoulds.typepad.com/
Apparently, the monogram watermark was introduced ca 1930, but my print has the the whole manufacturers name embossed.
In my days of humble paper making I used synthetic mesh over plastic grid.
Some of my sheets have still survived, some were used by a friend artist to make great works with paint and ink.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...